Wikipedia edit-a-thon to mark International Women’s Day 2017
Join us at Newnham College as we host a Wikipedia edit-a-thon on International Women’s Day to do our bit to make the internet less sexist.
Wikipedia is the seventh most visited website in the world – but only 15 per cent of Wikipedia editors are women and fewer than 17 per cent of notable profiles are of women.
We would love for you to play a part in changing this by taking part in the edit-a-thon.
Anyone can edit Wikipedia and we would like you to nominate an eminent woman and add to their profile, or to update an existing profile with additional information.
When and where?
• We will be running the main event from 12pm to 8pm in the Jane Harrison Room on Wednesday, March 8.
• Training will be given by Wikipedia on the hour from 12pm, with the last training session running at 7pm. But you can come at any time convenient for you if it is difficult to arrive on the hour as Wikipedia volunteers will be on-hand to help throughout the day.
What do I need to do in advance?
• Choose an eminent woman who either does not have a profile on Wikipedia, or whose profile is incomplete, and have an idea about what you would like to write about her.
• Create a Wikipedia account to save time on the day.
• Confirm your intended arrival time in advance to help us manage numbers – email Jo Tynan, Communications Director.
• If you are planning to write a profile about a Newnham alumna who is still alive, we would ask that you get her permission as a matter of courtesy, please do get in touch with the Development Office who will assist you.
What do I need to bring?
• Bring a laptop if you can, some laptops will be available on the day for those people who cannot bring one with them.
• Information about the woman you would like to add to Wikipedia.
Space is limited so do please get in touch in advance to book an arrival time.
If you have any questions, please email Jo Tynan or phone 01223 335833.