skip to content

Access to facilities

Once an individual decides to live permanently in a gender that is different to the one recorded at birth, he or she is entitled to access the facilities of the acquired gender. For example, when a staff member transitions he/she will want to use the facilities, such as toilets and changing rooms, for their acquired gender.

He or she does not need to be under medical supervision or have undergone surgery to benefit from this right.

All members of the University should remain conscious of the duty to ensure that transitioning staff and students are treated with dignity and respect. This reflects the University commitment to equal opportunities, dignity at work and study, and the law, which all apply to all members of the University community.